Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pick up.

Literally, right after we got off the plane we went to pick up our girls. I went in and the foster mom was entertaining them in the playroom. Tina was the first one to see me and the widest smile spread across her face and she just kept saying "mommy" in the sweetest way. I was shocked that she was the one that was so excited to see me. I thought lizzy would be the one, but she basically ignored me.
Speaking of lizzy, this foster mom has adopted a group of 3 siblings that all are delayed so much so that they are assuming that they will have to care for them their whole lives. Well, she is convinced that lizzy is as delayed as her most delayed child. She said she acts just like her adopted daughter did at that age... But worse. She said that it is obvious that she "just doesn't get it" and that is probably playing a huge roll in lizzy whining, constantly, like she has ever since i met her.
I am not sure that she is delayed as this lady thinks she is, but experience speaks volumes to me so i will be keeping that in mind and looking for things that could help our lizzy.
Also, i had to laugh, in a quite horrified way, at this poor foster mom's description of how hard it is to take care of my two year olds. This is the foster mom that takes the kids that other foster moms kick out and keeps them. She has had the hardest of the hard and was telling me that this experience validated that she doesn't want any more little little kids and she had no idea how i do it with this group.
I told her i was sorry that they were so hard to take care of, but she wasn't trying to make me feel bad, she really was more of just giving me a pat on the back for not giving up on them because they are so hard.
When the girls got home they ate like they hadn't seen food in a week and lizzy and the baby fell asleep on my husband and i and slept like they hadn't slept in a week. You could tell that they felt like they were home.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Glad you were able to get away.

If you can use the services of Early On, I would highly suggest that you have all three of your girls assessed. Can't believe that isn't a routine thing to do with your agency. Through them all kinds of therapists are available. All services are free. You can contact me through email if you want for further information.

Blessings to you.

Rebekah said...

That last paragraph is such a true depiction of home. I love it!

I'm glad you guys were able to get away, too.

Deb said...

So glad they are glad to be home.

Unknown said...

Glad you got your much-needed break, and glad you are all together again.

Diane said...

Very glad you had a happy homecoming! I second the comment that you need to call your state's early intervention program and have the girls evaluated, the sooner the better.