Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Stupid.

So....taxes. Taxes. Taxes. Taxes.


I called the financial dept. of my agency and yes, I have every right to "write off" a child who has been in my home for over 6 months.

OK.

Then I called my worker to get Lizzy's social security number. She's new, she said she would talk to her supervisor.

She called me back and said that the supervisor said they don't give those out.

I said that I have been given several of my other foster children's social security numbers, why can't I have Lizzy's? She didn't understand it either and said she would talk to her supervisor again.


Her supervisor called me back. She told me, basically, that the people above her had told everyone to not give any social security numbers out during this time of year because they don't want people writing the kids off on their taxes because it could cause an issue (like a bio family falsely writing the child off thus causing the foster family a problem with their taxes) and the agency doesn't want to have to help any of us sort it out.

This is such crap.

I am so tempted to try to go up the chain to get it...but I decided to just wait until she is adopted and when I have all her info I will amend my taxes from this year.

Everything in me is screaming "Fight these people"...but, I am just not up for it.

13 comments:

Ruth said...

My friend went throughout the sane exact thing. She fought the county and ended forever ruining her relationship w/them. Which resulting in them refusing to work w/her. It ended up giving her headaches even 3 yes later. For some reason those ss numbers are a sensitive subject. Do you have any court papers or any other paperwork that would have it?

aka. Mimi said...

This just blows my mind! I've seen it on several different blogs. I can't believe so many agencies/states are unwilling to provide that information to foster parents! I've been given my kids' SS#s from the get-go. It's usually on the placement paperwork before they ever get to my home. I think my state has a TON of problems, but I can be thankful that this is one I've never had to worry about.

Teresa said...

I was told the exact same thing! So ridiculous....

Endless Foster Love said...

This is just sad. My state willingly gives the ssn to us. Not smart on your agencies part because one day someone will push the issue with them and report it to the IRS!

Cherub Mamma said...

I've been given a copy of every kid's SS card. And, other than my littlest one, I've been given a copy of the birth certificate too. Where I'm at, we have to have both to enroll them in school.

I'm sorry to hear that your agency is giving you such a headache. I too would want to fight "those people" but I can completely understand why you're not!

Andrea said...

That's insane! My worker was thrilled to give me M's SS number. He's the first one that I've had 6 months in the same year. She said "go ahead and take that deduction." It's truly you're right. Good luck.

Julie said...

I recently learned that in my state that cps has a foster parent advocate... I wonder if you could go around the agency? What about her lawyer? Would they have it?

StarfishMom said...

Leah, We had the same problem here this year :( Our worker never got Sprouts SS number in the beginning like he should have and now bio mom says she LOST the card :/ They cannot give it me directly so I have to ask her. SO frusterating!!!

Maggie said...

Ugh! That makes me mad for you! I would fight it up the chain. Actually, I'd have my husband fight it up the chain, because I'm no good at confrontation. :)

The Campbell's Journey said...

I have had a case worker encourage me to claim our placement this year. She even told me that if we have any trouble due to a "family" member claiming the child, that she would get us whatever documentation we need. That is so sad that you are having to go through this. I don't blame you for waiting, though. I wouldn't want to rock the boat and jeapordize having the system not want to work with me.

One Blessed Mom said...

Not in our county. My CW got Z's social from his BM and told the BM that if she tried to claim Z that they would turn her in and show proof that Z was here all year. Mom claimed him last year even though he was only with her 6 weeks, but they told her she wouldn't be doing that this year and I'm thankful because it's not right. She didn't do one thing for Z with the money she got back on him last year...grrr
I was told you can usually get their social from the health dept if they are on the WIC program, and most fosters are but be sure to let the BM know.

shelley said...

Go around them. Contact her DHS worker, or her attorney should have it - that's what I would do.

Pam said...

You can re-file this years taxes next year, if you want to.
Not worth it to stress about it now.
The main thing is she's safe.