Thursday, July 18, 2013

Triggers.

I had no idea when I woke up this morning that Miracle Whip and bread would trigger one of my kids.

Today I was making lunch and had the Miracle Whip out on the counter.  The kids had actually already eaten their lunch and I was making my husband and I's lunch.  My 6-year-old newly adopted son walked up and said, "I love that." Gesturing toward the Miracle Whip.  He is a very picky eater so i was skeptical.

I asked, "what do you like it with?"

He said bread.  I asked if he like it with bread, cheese, and turkey or ham.  He said, no, just bread.  I didnt really believe he knew what he was talking about, especially, because he was calling the Miracle Whip "whip cream".  He has also has called butter "whip cream" so I didn't know if he even knew what he was talking a bout at all.

So, I slathered a light  layer of Miracle Whip onto a piece of bread and topped it with another peice of bread.

Yuck.

As I was doing this, my 5-year-old newly adopted daughter saw what i was doing and said, "can I have what J.J. Is having?"

I vomited in my mouth a little and told her yes.  I cut the horrific "sandwich" I had just made in half and handed half to J.J. And half to my daughter.

They tore into those sandwiches.

I immediately asked, "who used to make this for you?!?"

They both said, "Lucy!" (Their 14 year old foster sister that they lived with for around two years.)

Oh my word.

Anyway, in all honesty, this story is not about how my kids were fed Miracle Whip sandwiches at their old foster home.  And liked it.

As the day progresses, after the kids ate those monstrosities, my 5-year-old daughter, who ate the sandwich of death, started to get very crabby.

And pouted.

About everything.

Until I sent her to bed.

It took me a little while to figure it out but, I finally figured it out.

Ah, yes.  Crazy sandwich = memories of her last "family"

And she misses them.

Thus, she pouts at me about anything and everything i say or do for the rest of the day.

Because she misses them, and she's five and that is how she handles it. Things have actually be going great, but that does not mean that the life she lived before us and without us doesn't effect her. She is a good girl and tomorrow is a new day. Someday, Miracle Whip and bread sandwiches won't ruin her whole day.

7 comments:

Deb said...

Isabel actually loves sandwiches like that. I'll make her a proper one and occasionally she will take everything out and just eat the bread. Ick!

Interesting reading how she pouted the rest of the day. Isabel does that when she is reminded of her foster sisters. She misses them a LOT and many things trigger her memory of them. And they were only with us 5 months.

Kelly said...

Oh how I understand this post so well. You never know what the trigger will be or how they will handle the trigger. Bless them.

When I was a kid I ate mayo sandwiches for lunch quite often. Fast and easy and I could get back outside to play really quickly. :)

MamaFoster said...

I had a feeling that this "sandwich" was more normal than I thought it was!

Unknown said...

Very true!

FootPrints said...

wow. so interesting how their little minds work!

Barb said...

My brother eats Miracle Whip and bread to this day and he's 60. We were never part of any fostering or adoption...he just loves Miracle Whip.

rachel said...

Should I be embarrassed to admit that I love miracle whip sandwiches??! Lol. And two of my kids do too. Yum!